Biotechnology is rewriting life as we know it, from the medicines we take, to the crops we grow, the materials we wear, and the household goods that we rely on every day. But moving at the new speed of science requires better technology.Benchling’s mission is to unlock the power of biotechnology. The world’s most innovative biotech companies use Benchling’s R&D Cloud to power the development of breakthrough products and accelerate time to milestone and market. Come help us bring modern software to modern science.ROLE OVERVIEW
The Leader of Product Analytics and Data Science will lead a dedicated and motivated team with a focus on our application user behavior insights. Reporting to the Head of Product Analytics and Data Science, you’ll partner with leadership to envision the future of scalable, deep insights both retrospective and predictive to support best-in-class decision making and success evaluation for our product. You will be a team technical lead designing and developing analytical and data science solutions both with your direct reports as well as autonomously to model for everyone exceptional data science development lifecycles.
Someone successful in this role will have a passion for solving complex data and algorithmic puzzles as well as partnering in a highly collaborative team capacity to listen, learn, and evolve rapidly. You enjoy getting the full business picture and context across the entire organization and then distilling for your team what matters, and why, to help mold the future path. You always love to code and review others’ code to make those around you better. You have an arsenal of statistics, econometrics, bio stats, linear algebra, optimization algorithm knowledge in your back pocket, but seek to deliver right sized outputs to the business question at hand. You’re interested in sharing your full, authentic self and bringing out the best in others and motivating a learning and intellectually curious culture.RESPONSIBILITIES
- Energized to work collaboratively with team members, partners and stakeholders across the business to apply, innovate, and deploy machine learning algorithms and data science methods for new measurement of product user behavior
- Design and lead technical delivery of analytical products consumed internally by the business including self-service analytics, ad-hoc analytics, internal algorithms, and self-service event instrumentation
- Partner with analysts, data scientists, internal data architect, product managers, software engineers, data platform engineers, and company leadership to align business strategy and needs with novel measurement strategies
- Foster a collaborative and empathetic culture on the Data Analytics and Science Team as well as around the broader Build Organization. Strive to teach, mentor, and develop a motivated and talented quantitative team as well as educate and up-lift a data culture throughout the broader Build Organization getting folks excited and aligned for the future of data science and analytics at the company
- 5+ years hands on experience as data science or Analytics Manager or Tech Team Lead
- A passion for or curiosity to learn about accelerating biological life sciences through data-led technology
- Deep expertise in product application user behavioral data/clickstream data as well as experience with the infrastructure required to collect such data (e.g. segment, event taxonomies, amplitude, mixpanel, etc…). We have some interesting puzzles around connecting backend events with frontend experience that for which we want to address and build elegant, scalable eventing solutions to power advanced analytics!
- Experience with supervised and unsupervised segmentation models, A/B testing, linear and non-linear regression models, and causal inference
- Experience with end-to-end data and algorithm pipeline and DAG development as well as orchestration tools such as Snowflake, DBT, Git, Airflow, Data Science IDEs, and BI tools is a plus
- Communicates effectively through verbal, written, visual/slide medium
- Likely has Ms, PhD in statistics, mathematics, psychology, engineering, economics, or other quantitative field as well as 10+ years applied experience
- Preference to be Bay Area located for hybrid in-office team experience
Benchling takes a market-based approach to pay. The candidate's starting pay will be determined based on job-related skills, experience, qualifications, interview performance, and work location. For this role the base salary range is $183,770 to $248,630.
Total Compensation includes the following:
- Competitive salary and equity
- 100% premiums covered for health, dental, and vision for employees
- Fertility healthcare and family-forming benefits
- Four months of fully paid parental leave
- 401(k) + Employer Match
- Commuter benefits
- Home office stipend
- Mental health benefits + Wellness stipend
- Learning and development stipend
- Generous PTO
- Company-wide Summer & Winter holiday shutdown
- Sabbaticals for 5-year and 10-year anniversaries
For applicants for U.S.-based roles only: All new hires in the United States are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and to provide proof of vaccination prior to their first day of employment. If you are unable to be vaccinated for medical or religious reasons, we will explore potential reasonable accommodations; however, Benchling may not be able to grant such accommodations in all cases if doing so would cause undue hardship.