Braintrust is a user-owned talent network that connects you with great jobs with no fees or membership costs—so you keep 100% of what you earn.
Our promise is to give you the opportunity to uniquely differentiate yourself as a top performer.
Our promise to our clients is to help them efficiently discover and hire highly qualified talent like you.
ABOUT THE HIRING PROCESS:
The hiring process for this role involves completing your Braintrust profile, applying directly to the role on Braintrust, and undergoing a one-time screening to ensure you meet our vetted talent specifications. After this, the hiring team will contact you directly if they believe you are a suitable match.
Our process isn't for everyone, that's intentional. If you believe that you are a top candidate for this job, please join our network to give yourself the opportunity to work with top companies.
- JOB TYPE: Direct Hire/ FTE Position (no agencies/C2C - see notes below)
- LOCATION: Hybrid - Austin, TX
- SALARY RANGE: $180,000 – $240,000/yr
- ESTIMATED DURATION: 40hr/week - Long term
- EXPERIENCE: 5-10 years
- BRAINTRUST JOB ID: 9520
Modern is a seed-stage defense-first AI company that is creating One AI for Defense. We build modular and compositional AI products that span the gulf between raw sensor data as inputs, and GUIs and COPs for output.
We are seeking a talented Software Engineer who has broad experience across algorithms, UI, and translating higher-level specs into detailed work plans. You will work with the team on many different aspects of our core products, take point on integrating with external APIs and software solutions, and assist with product customization and deployment. Your work environment will have the magic mix of autonomy and independence in how you work, and the highly collaborative nature of a small, fast-paced team environment. As an early hire, you’ll have the opportunity and active encouragement to influence the direction of product and feature development, and to grow into larger roles, or potentially other disciplines, as the company expands. And as a Modern employee, you’ll be helping create products that provide enormous benefit to the American warfighter.
- Interview with Hiring Manager (45min)
- Take-home assessment (3 hours) + Technical Interview to discuss results (1 hour)
- On-site interview to meet the team (full-day)
IMPORTANT: This role requires US citizenship due to federal contracting guidelines.
What you’ll be working on
- Strong background in Python. Strong background in C++ also preferred.
- 5+ years of experience required
- A generalist background, and the experience and desire to tackle problems across core engineering, UI, data management, deployment, and the development lifecycle
- Must be very comfortable with Linux and virtualization
Preferred: experience in one or more:
- The Defense space
- Hardware integrations
- Interfacing with established UIs, ideally DoD UIs such as ATAK
- Creating products based on AI models
- $180k - $240k plus equity, depending on experience
- Relocation package available (within the US)
- Full health, dental, and vision insurance
- Unlimited PTO
- Paid relocation
- Company gym membership
- Free lunch every day
- Ensure your resume clearly showcases the skills and qualifications needed for this role.
- Highlight any relevant experience you have gained working in MAANG companies, early-stage startup or similar environments. These experiences can be particularly valuable.
- Carefully read the job description, paying special attention to the requirement for a generalist skillset. Tailor your application to demonstrate your generalist experience.
- When answering screening questions, highlight your qualifications listed under the "preferred" section of the job description. Show how you meet these preferences.
- To set yourself apart from other candidates, refrain from using AI-generated responses. Showcase your unique qualities and experiences instead.
- This is a hybrid role, and be prepared to discuss how your skills and background align with the diverse aspects of the job.
- Note that this role offers a relocation package to candidates who match the qualifications of the position. Be prepared to discuss your willingness and readiness to relocate if applicable.
- IMPORTANT: This role requires US citizenship due to federal contracting guidelines.
Our employers all have varying legal and geographic requirements for their roles, they trust Braintrust to find them the talent that meet their unique specifications. For that reason, this role is not available to C2C candidates working with an agency. If you are a professional contractor who has created an LLC/corp around their consulting practice, this is well aligned with Braintrust and we’d welcome your application.
Braintrust values the multitude of talents and perspectives that a diverse workforce brings. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, national origin, religion, age, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, or protected veteran status.