To be considered, apply now (including a short covering note, introducing yourself) and I'll be in touch (Rebecca). We have a streamlined, straight-forward interview process and make decisions swiftly, and we’ll always give you feedback.
Tech Lead (Rails on AWS)
We’re a privately owned Australian SaaS business based in Melbourne, Australia with a fully remote team from all over the world. We power growth for over 1M+ businesses of all shapes and sizes around the world and we're just getting started. The app is comfortably handling 2+ million visitors per day but our roadmap will require us to scale up in the near future.
We’re searching for an experienced senior developer with infrastructure experience to join our team. You’ll be focused on maintaining and improving the infrastructure of our application, and improving the application itself by developing new features and second-level customer support as needed..Our current front end stack: Ruby, Rails, PostgreSQL, ElasticSearch, Redis, AWS (RDS, Aurora, ElastiCache, EC2, S3), Vue.js, Angular (legacy code being replaced with Vue.js), Ansible, Linux.
A typical day could involve:
- About 60% of your time would be spent on improving the app by adding features and improvements.
- Another 30% would be maintaining the infrastructure of our applications, and proposing and implementing improvements where needed.
- The last 10% would be handling customer issues/queries.
- Sharing infrastructure/application maintenance knowledge to share load and increase redundancy.
- Providing 2nd level support when a developer with production access is required.
- Standing in for our CTO/Co-Founder when he’s on leave.
- Being part of the on-call rotation (out of hours) via PagerDuty.
This is an opportunity to lead the infrastructure in a small but profitable company and work directly with the CTO. You’ll learn how our current infrastructure works and will be free to explore and suggest ways to improve it.
To be effective, you’ll need the following:
- Several years experience as Senior Software Engineer or Lead. We expect you to have ‘owned’ the infrastructure in your previous team(s).
- Strong skills across Linux servers and database maintenance, PostgreSQL and Ruby/Rails internals.
- AWS knowledge is required (advanced experience is a big plus).
- Demonstrated ability to be pragmatic and keep a cool head under stress (when the application is down, customers are complaining, and you have to figure out what’s wrong and how to recover).
- The ability to work independently and make decisions without constant external control, and to find ways to solve issues in one way or another, without getting stuck.
- Highly effective communication skills (written and spoken).
As a remote team, we value individuals who can take initiative to make things happen, are responsive and conscientious, and who value feedback and can use it effectively.Why join us?As a bootstrapped, profitable company, we don’t have to worry about the next funding round or how much runway we have. We offer competitive salaries, a great work/life balance and the support you need, whether that’s a laptop, coworking space subscription, or books and courses to develop your skills. Plus:
- Work anywhere you like (with some broad timezone needs, like this role) . Our team is spread across Australia, Greece, Indonesia, Portugal, Serbia, Thailand, Ukraine, and the USA.
- Arrange your time to suit you. As long as you're doing the ~37.5 hours a week and organising your time to facilitate synchronous work when needed, the 'when' is up to you.
- We encourage you to work on side projects for fun and profit.
- Only a handful of meetings per year and no ridiculous deadlines.
- Remote first culture. We were built this way.
We ensure you get to know your team with Friday drinks (remote unless we’re in the same city) and yearly in-person retreats.Note: This is a fully remote role but we are searching for an individual located outside of the Australian timezone (South America > Europe preferred) - we want an on-call rotation where nobody needs to get out of bed.
How to Apply
Please let Gleam know you found this position on Remotely as a way to support us so we can keep providing you with quality remote jobs.
Help us maintain the quality of jobs posted on Remotely!
Is this position not a remote job?Let us know!